Sunday, June 2, 2013

Book Review: Somone Else's Life by Katie Dale

Goodreads:
When seventeen-year-old Rosie’s mother, Trudie, dies from Huntington’s Disease, her pain is intensified by the knowledge that she has a fifty-per-cent chance of inheriting the crippling disease herself. Only when she tells her mum’s best friend, ‘Aunt Sarah’ that she is going to test for the disease does Sarah, a midwife, reveal that Trudie was not her biological mother after all... Devastated, Rosie decides to trace her real mother, hitching along on her ex-boyfriend’s GAP year to follow her to Los Angeles. But all does not go to plan, and as Rosie discovers yet more of her family's deeply-buried secrets and lies, she is left with an agonising decision of her own - one which will be the most heart-breaking and far-reaching of all.







My Review:

   Tragic! I started this book expecting an inspiring, a bit of a happy story but I TOTALLY wasn't expecting that. As much as it was a thought-provoking story and a stellar book but why so sad  :( This book lost a star in my rating because of the storyline, of how sad and complicated this book was. I was glued to the pages though and I finished it in one day but it was so sad yet so fantastic and the ending was actually pretty good and suprisingly satisfying.

   It was some sort of an emotional punch, like seeing someone suffering, their lives crumbling down like some pieces of bread or having their hearts broken or torn because of.... decisions which were before just choices. To be quite honest this book can get you talking a lot but to cut it short, it was compelling.

   Overall, I couldn't say that I enjoyed this book as much as I can say that ached a lot during my little trip reading it. But Katie Dale is a GENIUS! She managed to put together this really intricate, in-depth story of people's lives - not aliens people! A thought-provoking, poignant, heart-rending story that will keep you glued to the pages, not because you are expecting or even waiting for a happy ending or just a happy moment but because you want to keep up with this distressing and woeful story about.... two girls. Highly recommended!

Title: Someone Else's Life
Author: Katie Dale
Series: Stand-alone
Published: February 2nd 2012 by Simon & Schuster
Source: Owned
Links: Goodreads | Amazon
Rating: 4/5

PS: I know that this review was a bit too short but I actually read this book a really long while ago but forget to post its review which I wrote but haven't fully completed it but still here it is.

Happy Reading!
xoxo, Mariam

1 Comments:

Unknown said...

This actually sounds really good! Thanks for the review! I really enjoyed it :) I'm putting it on my TBR list.

I hope to see you around my blog,
Katelynn Clark
www.literarychameleon.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment, you honestly just made my day ;)

I read each and every comment and I really appreciate sharing your thoughts with me guys! So it always makes me happy to hear from you ;) I will try my best to reply and comment back on your own blog so expect me to visit you soon ;)

*PS: This is now an award free blog and although I really apperciate it and I thank you for considering me but fulfilling these types of posts turns out to be really hard and time consuming :( *

But thank you for stopping by and welcome to Book-A-Holic!
xoxo, Mariam

NOTE: I haven't been commenting on other blogs lately because my laptop's charger is broke so until I get a new one I am using another computer but I guess there is something wrong with it because I can't leave comments on other blogs at all so sorry about that but I'll try and fix that asap. Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Follow on Bloglovin